Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Wonderful World of Cappadocia.





I had been doing most of my traveling across the country by night buses. I really like them. You do not get the best sleep on one of these, but they are really convenient because you get to where you need to go, and you don’t have to pay for a hotel room. I know that traveling at night is an old trick, but I would like to state that I like it. Anyway, I took a night bus to a place called Cappadocia. I had the best day of my whole trip in Turkey and anywhere else for that matter here. A friend from Damascus, Jason, who has traveled everywhere, said that it was his favorite place on earth. And after being there I can see why. Cappadocia is this series of valleys with rock formations that you will never see anywhere else. You could compare it to a Southern Utah National park, but the rocks are different, and here our old buddies the ancient, persecuted Christians have carved thousands of homes into the rocks and hundreds of underground cities. It is really remarkable. I had a hard time getting there in the morning, and had to call a couple of taxi drivers out on their lies, and hop a bunch of buses, but by 11 I was in the main city. By 11:15 I had a moped(only $25 all day, but I had to wear this goofy helmet) and a map and was off. I had a bus to catch that night at eight thirty, and I did not stop till then. I toured the whole valley, it was wonderful. If I have any regulars to my blog they can tell that I like sunsets, and here I saw an amazing one. The camera really does not do it justice. I rode the bike up on this hill, and hiked up to the precipice and saw the whole valley as the sun set. I had had a pretty bad night before due to the ridiculousness of the UI, but this seemed to wash it all away. It was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment